This gazette-style offering of the origins of Fairfield was sent to me by Louann Motts. It’s from an old Atlas and it‘s ancient enough for us to avoid any concerns over copyright infringement. It‘s our history.
We do know that Robert Hanna, Robert Templeton and William Logan (the Carolina -- Lawrence or Laurens County -- Settlement) were the first settlers in that part of the valley.
The first marriage in Fairfield was John Reed and Mary, daughter of Robert Templeton.
The first death was that of Anna Cunningham, who lived near Quakertown. She was buried on the old Osborn farm in 1805. The next was Mrs. Mary Hanna, mother of John Templeton's wife, buried in 1807.
The first school house on East fork was near the Sims cemetery, now in Union county. The first teacher was Thomas Harvey. The Baptists frequently preached there.
The first orchard in the township was planted by the hands of Robert Hanna, Sr., who obtained the trees at Lawrenceburg. This was about 1806, possibly a year later.
The name "Fairfield" was suggested by the general beauty of the country, as viewed by the pioneer band. Here the Indian tribes frequently camped for weeks at a time.
Fairfield was platted October, 1815, by Hugh Abernathy, George Johnston, Tomas Osborn and James Wilson, the four corners of their respective lands being in the center of the platting. An addition was made in 1817. It is situated in section 21, township 10 north and range 2 west.
A post office was established in 1820 with Charles Shriner as postmaster.
The village was incorporated as a town, May 9, 1876, had a municipal existence as long as there was any demand for such corporation, and disbanded many years since.
Fairfield was once a rival for county-seat honors in Franklin-Union counties. Before the division of the counties, Hon. Mr. McCarthy was elected as representative to the Legislature, and during his term of office the matter of creating a new county came up and, and finding that the bill was to pass, making what is now known as Franklin county, saw more money for himself in aiding Brookville to secure the county seat. He had friends purchase a large amount of lands in and near Brookville, and thus what had been planned from the early date, namely, to make Fairfield the seat of justice, fell through and Brookville was awarded the honors, so state the citizens of Fairfield. Before the division of the county, Fairfield was nearer the center of the territory than was Brookville.
When Fairfield was laid out, the proprietors donated a public square in the center of the plat, and this is still used for such, minus the coveted court house which it was intended should at no distant day be erected theron. Some good hitching posts and a town pump are all that now mark the "Square" as being public property.
The business and social interests of Fairfield in the spring of 1915 were in the hands of the following citizens: General dealers, Amzy Banning, George Jinks; drugs, Dr. John M. Linegar; meats, J.B. Luker; physicians, Drs. John L. Linegar, A.L. Preston ; barber, D.N. Hanna; boarding house, C.R. Dare and wife; milk collection station, the French Cream Company, which runs two wagons; blacksmith shops, H.O. Ward, John Snider; steam saw-mill, Geoge Personette.
The lodges of Fairfield are the Masonic, Oddfellows, Red Men and Knights of Pythias, with their ladies' auxiliary societies.
The only church of the village is the Methodist Episcopal.
The school building is a fine two-story frame structure.